Thursday, March 11, 2010

Smarmy Flowers

I feel like need to share my negative experience with ProFlowers. I ordered flowers from them (actually after having trouble with 1800Flowers not delivering my order....I ordered flowers on one of those peak flower holidays...flag day or something and there was a mixup). Anyway, in the process of ordering from ProFlowers, I inadvertently signed up for some Easy Saver Rewards program. I did not intend to do so and did not realize I had until I noticed a charge for $14.95 on the credit card bill. It had actually been there for a few months before but I hadn't realized it due to the unspecific nature of the charge (I figured it was something related to travel or something...I definitely must inspect my credit card bill more closely).

I called Easy Saver and canceled my account and they refunded my money. Really, they were quite nice. I haven't gotten the refund yet, but assuming it shows up, I have no beef with them.

After doing so, I contacted ProFlowers to tell them that I thought their practice was smarmy. Their response was:

"I would like to apologize for any confusion you may have had over the enrollment process with our partner company." and then "In conjunction with our partner, Easy Saver Rewards, ProFlowers is offering a $15 gift code off your next order as an incentive for signing up in the $1.95 30-day trial to the Rewards Program."

So, to make up for the fact that I was pissed about their reward program that cost $14.95 a month, they offer to RE-ENROLL me in it without ever disclosing that it is $14.95 a month.

I was flabbergasted! (and told them so, no response yet)

If you dislike smarminess, I suggest you avoid ProFlowers

4 comments:

Akemi said...

Wow! The ironic stupidity of their offer made me guffaw out loud... Sam even turned away from the PS3 for a second to come over and see what I was reading.
I guess they feel that being underhanded pays, and that hiring customer service representatives that can read, comprehend and respond appropriately isn't important. Boo.

h.Lo said...

Lame! I ordered from one of those places once and the flowers looked nothing like what was advertised. They sucked! So, I learned a lesson and send cookies now. =) Sorry about the smarm!

John D said...

I've never even tried those flower sites. I always seek out a local florist and call them directly. I'm clueless about flowers, so I just tell them what I want to spend what general color I want, and they'll make something pretty. Mom & Pop florists haven't disappointed yet.

Anonymous said...

I have been making a point to search out smaller companies, those that have a face and really care about every customer. I happened upon californiablooms.com and let me tell you, they were AWSOME. They only sell roses, but the person that I sent them to, said the orange roses she received lasted 2 weeks! Just my two cents worth.