Tomorrow morning, Sydney flies to NC with my parents, who very graciously offered to fly her back for us, so that we can pick her up "on the way" to Indiana. With Sydney's impending departure and numerous goodbyes to our friends, the move has become increasingly real. We are definitely happy to be moving to Indiana, into our new house (!), where we'll be much closer to family, but we are also pretty sad to be leaving this great city.
So, I guess it's time for our what we will miss about Seattle list. Obviously, we will miss our fantastic friends the most (please, come visit!). Other than that, here's (some of) what we'll miss in no particular order.
- Schmitz Park Nature Preserve - This Seattle city park was blocks from our house and is made up of forest and trails. Much of it is old growth, and it's pretty damn amazing. Plus, though not technically allowed, it tends to be a great off leash area for dogs. In the summer, this was our favorite Ramona exercise spot.
- Manny's - It's no secret that we love this beer.
- Salmon - damn, the salmon's good here, and the dungeness crab too.
- Beecher's cheese - yummy cheese made at Pike Place Market
- Compost in the yard waste bin - okay, so it's kind of weird, but it's so fabulous to be able to put all of your compost in your yard waste bin (this one is just Elizabeth)
- Hiking - aside from the nature preserve, there's so much hiking near Seattle (Mt. Ranier, Olympic National Park, the Cascades).
- Mt. Ranier - um, it's fucking awesome to see a mountain when you are just driving around town doing errands. The views of Puget Sound ain't half bad either!
- Sushi - It's true you can get sushi in Indiana, but it's definitely not the same. Ditto for Thai food.
- Live music - It's pretty great to live somewhere with such great live music. If tomorrow night weren't our last night in town, we'd have to choose between The Decembrists at the Moore and Nada Surf at the Triple Door. Crazy.
- Skiiing - Though we didn't make it this year (d'oh!), we'll definitely miss the proximity to good skiing.