Sunday, June 15, 2008

Death Cab for Indy

Last night, Sarah, Mike, Ryan, Andy, and I went to the whitelies.tv lawn at White River State Park to see Death Cab for Cutie and Rogue Wave. We bought tickets at the 'door' avoiding paying a $10 convenience fee from ticketmaster.

Unfortunately, we missed most of Rogue Wave but what we heard was good...guess we could have seen them if we had bought our tickets online in advance...

Andy and I have both seen Death Cab at indoor venues before a couple of time (at the Paramount, where a very old-looking Eddie Vedder made a guest appearance and at the Showbox). This show definitely did not hold up to previous shows, though I am heavily biased against outdoors shows. Their set was decent, relying mainly on tracks from the new album and Transatlanticism. But the band was so far away, and there was so much grass and sunlight to distract from the music. I like my bands in a dark, cramped, preferably smoke-free box, where I can focus on the music. For an outdoor venue, White River State Park was fairly intimate, and they gave you lawn chairs as you entered, so you can't front on that. We had a good time, but it didn't feel like a rock show.

Plus, Andy and I were distracted by how fit and hip Ben Gibbard has gotten.
Check out Ben in 2004.
And then, him last night.

Is this what happens when you go from Barsuk to Atlantic? They certainly aren't the same guys who recorded in a sketchy looking house in our old 'hood. For fun, check out these pictures of Gibbard in high school and a young Gibbard singing. For more on last night's show, check here.

2 comments:

Shawn said...

I'm envious that you guys got this show!
Free lawn chairs = awesome

And ticketmaster is indeed evil..I can't remember a year when the "covenience" charge hasn't gone up significantly. Oh for the days of the $1.50 charge (last ones we got we around $9).

h.Lo said...

How is that Ben Gibbard? It doesn't look anything like him?!

I so wish we could have joined you for this show. Except there's no way I would've missed Rogue Wave--they're great! =P