Saturday, September 19, 2009

Mitch Daniels is "Preposterous"

Below is an e-mail I sent to Mitch Daniels. This is the first time I've written to Mitch. I was motivated to do so by his decision to call a decision by the Indiana Court of Appeals "preposterous."



Governor Daniels,


I have been very impressed with many of the things you have done as Governor of our great state. There have been many times when I have disagreed with you, but reasonable people can disagree about policy issues and still feel that the best interests of the state are being watched over.


However, your comments last week about the Indiana Court of Appeals' rejection of the voter I.D. law crossed the line. Disagreeing with the decision is one thing, but the state's highest public official referring to a decision by our second highest court as "preposterous" is the most irresponsible statement I've ever heard from the Indiana Governor's office. Undermining our state's judicial system is at the very least unbecoming of the office you hold, and at worst a violation of our constitution. You have lost the respect and trust of many Hoosiers with this irresponsible remark, and I only hope that you have not done permanent damage to the image of our judicial system.


I hope in the future you will be more reasonable with your comments and remember the weight your words hold thanks to the power of your office.


Andrew Stuckey

Indianapolis, IN

2 comments:

Maddog said...

It doesn't seem like a good idea for the leader of the state's executive branch to so blatantly call out the judicial branch in such a brash manner.

akemijoy said...

Hmmm... thinking (and weighing your words) _before_ you speak - what a concept. If people did it more often (public figures and regular people alike) I think the world would be a better place.