Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Icelandic Food

Iceland is known for some pretty odd foods, and although I enjoyed having sardines with my continental breakfast (seriously!), we stayed clear of fermented shark meat, whale, and puffin.  I did eat lobster (well, technically langoustine) sauteed in garlic (not pictured), on pizza. and in a sandwich.  



We also ate some amazing fish---arctic char and Icelandic catfish, both of which were delicious.  The catfish was quite a surprise---definitely not what I expected.  One of my favorite foods was something called "mashed fish" which was essentially a really thick stew served over Icelandic rye bread (it's that yellowish stuff in the picture below).  Also pictured on this plate is some A-M-A-Z-I-N-G rye bread ice cream.  Seriously, it was scrumptious!  It's apparently an old family recipe (which they more or less let me in on once we declared we were going to try to get Full Tilt to try to make it).


We didn't eat any of these...


1 comment:

Average Woman Runner said...

Cool American flavor? Hmmm.
I want to hear more about this rye bread ice cream business...I have an ice cream maker we can use...