Sunday, September 21, 2008

The Worst Thing Ramona Has Ever Done

While Ramona is a fantastic dog, she's had her moments (see for example this post). Well, this weekend she topped them all. Friday night, I baked a chocolate cake for a get together the next evening. On Saturday, Andy left the house at 6 am to run a 5k in Greensburg. Sometime between 6 am and 7:30 when I woke up, Ramona got the cake off the counter and ate almost all of it (she left only the four corners). In the process of knocking the cake down, she managed to turn on one of the gas burners on the stove. I awoke to a house smelling strongly of gas!! I woke Sam up (who was in town for a visit), and we left the house and called 911. The Indianapolis Fire Department response was quite impressive; within minutes, there were FIVE fire trucks and two fire department SUVs at our house. There were so many fire trucks that they wouldn't all fit on our street. It was crazy. The fire department blew the the gas out of the house (in the process filling the house with carbon monoxide from the gas fan), and we were able to return to the house.

We left a couple hours later for a day in Greensburg campaiging for Obama (quite sucessfully...we'll try to post more on that later). We came home around 7 pm to a house (not surprisingly I suppose) filled with chocolate vomit. We've cleaned the downstairs and are working on completely cleaning the upstairs (with the help of a rented steam vacuum). She's damn lucky she's so cute.


Slammin' Sam said...

The funniest part of the story was when Elizabeth woke me up.

E: knocking on door, "Sam".
S: "What?"
E: "I've got some bad news... Ramona ate the cake! I've also got some worse news... She turned on the gas on the stove."

We were totally not as worried as we should have been.

Shawn said...

What a day! Glad everyone is alright. That's a lot of chocolate for a dog, good thing she threw it up. ;)

h.Lo said...

Holy crap! That's kind of insane.