Monday, February 2, 2009

The Best of 2008

As advertised, here are my top ten songs of 2008.

10. "Cherry Tulips" The Headlights
9. "In the New Year" The Walkmen
8. "You Don't Know Me" Ben Folds (feat. Regina Spektor)
7. "Dig, Lazarus, Dig" Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds
6. "Always a Friend" Alejandro Escovedo
5. "Walcott" Vampire Weekend
4. "Drive On, Driver" The Magnetic Fields
3. "Punches" Colin Herring
2. "Buildings & Mountains" The Republic Tigers
1. "Why Do You Let Me Stay Here?" She & Him

Looking over this list makes me realize that working so much in the second half of the year has severely cut back on the attention paid to my music collection. Three of the songs in the top ten are from artist I have only heard that one song from (The Headlights, Nick Cave, and The Republic Tigers). I guess I've heard other Nick Cave, but not from this album, and we saw The Republic Tigers open for Nada Surf, but I haven't investigated them further.

Also, since Josh requested, I'll talk about one more new band. The band that I am into most right now (though I just found out about them about 6 weeks ago, so they didn't make the list) is called Titus Andronicus. It's kind of like a cross between the Thermals & Bright Eyes. And that's a winning combo. Check them out!

*As I'm posting this, I see that Titus Andronicus is playing in Bloomington on Monday, Feb. 9th. That will be tough, but I may try to go...

3 comments:

Shawn said...

I was more impressed when I saw Pela and Editors in your "most played" list down there, but I'll try to check out the ones here that I haven't heard. :)

andy said...

Ah...but the Editors & Pela I got from you as part of your best of 2007, so they were clearly not eligible for this prize. If I included songs I first heard in '08 the list would have been half the songs from The National's Alligator.

Shawn said...

Gotcha! I'll hit you with my Best of '08 disk when you're out here next. I'm with you on Alligator too..I had the exact same problem.