Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Damn you, Kerns!


Thanks to Kerns, I've been spending a sizable portion of my waking hours lately playing this evil computer game he let me borrow. It is called Caesar 3 (I'm pretty sure there is a Caesar 4 at this point, but I'm always behind on these things), and it is awesome...well... in a civilization building kind of way. Luckily I've been substitute teaching quite a bit to keep me on a normal schedule, otherwise I might start losing track of night and day. Needless to say, Elizabeth does not share my love of this game. In fact, I think she vaguely despises it.

Also, think kind thoughts of me this weekend. We are hosting John and Graham, who are abandoning Mortimer from the Rose City, and I'm running in the 13.1 mile Indianapolis Mini-Marathon on Saturday. Having Graham in the house the night before running a morning distance race is a really bad idea for me. We'll see how it goes.

6 comments:

Kernsie said...

When you get tired of that one, you can try Pharoh (with the Cleopatra expansion).

Shawn said...

Sounds like you could be in for a perfect storm on Saturday morning: Graham + booze + distance running = uh oh
Good luck anyway!

Anonymous said...

Good luck with the Mini--I wish I could come watch, it's usually pretty fun. A couple suggestions, I hope you don't mind:

1. Tape your nipples. Seriously.

2. The night before the night before is more important than the night before. That's not as deep as it sounds, it just means if you're planning on carbo-loading, you should eat pasta tonight, and getting a good night's sleep tonight is more important than Friday night (which sounds like it could be good with company coming in Friday anyway).

3. Drink the water provided during the race--not drinking it does not make you tougher, and in the long run it will not slow you down. The first time Ed ran a marathon he thought he would make up time on his competitors by not slowing down to take cups of water when they did.... he ended up almost dying. Literally. He passed out, didn't finish the race, and was hospitalized... Fortunately, for everyone involved, he recovered and went on to live long enough for me to be born.

Have fun.

Slammin' Sam said...

if you need to offload ages of mythology, so you have more time for caesar III, i'll be more than happy to take it off your hands....

caesar II was pretty fun when i used to play it.

good luck w/the running and the graham. maybe ramona can keep graham distracted long enough to make sure he doesn't jam whiskey into you.

Maddog said...

Good luck with the marathon...I would follow Dirty's advice.

h.Lo said...

Good luck at the mini! Looking forward to hearing how that goes...