Sunday, April 13, 2008

Fear of Change

On a recent trip to Bloomington with some out of town friends, I found myself desperately trying to locate my favorite college restaurants and shops. I suffer from hereditary hyper-nostalgia (thanks to my mom) and often find myself pining for the way things were even months ago.

My nostalgia fest was progressing well after a lunch of falafel and deep fried pickles at the Trojan Horse and an iced latte from Soma when we continued our walk down Kirkwood towards the Sample Gates. I looked left and to my horror, Jiffy Treet was gone! For those not in the know, Jiffy Treet is a local ice cream place, offering frozen delights similar (but better) to those at Dairy Queen. Even more unbelievable, they deliver! Delivery ice cream! As an undergraduate with an (also hereditary) affinity for ice cream, this discovery was too good to be true. Now, according to Bloomingpedia, Jiffy Treet still exists; only the Kirkwood location closed. The reason for its closing? Outside Developers (of the ice cream hating variety) bought the building and put in a Panda Express! Want to know what else these Outside Developers hate? Good Movies, as they purchased the old Von Lee Theater and turned it into a Noodles and Company (although the theater chain Kerasotes may be more to blame on that one, since they are the ones that shut it down).

The end result is a complete lack of ice cream stores in downtown Bloomington. When I was in college, there were three: Jiffy Treet, White Mountain Creamery, and Ben and Jerry's. Now, there are none! What a tragedy!

As if this weren't enough for my fragile psyche, we kept walking only to realize that The Den had been replaced by a flatbread restaurant!?! The Den was one of those stores that sold everything: cds, cheap IU tshirts, snacks, fountain drinks, "water pipes", disc golf discs, and general convenience store items. It was one of those fixtures; it never occurred to me that it could close.

Andy's in trouble because I already have the old person tendency of complaining about change...it can only get worse.

4 comments:

josh said...

I did hear that the kirkwood Jiffy Treat closed but I didn't know that they managed close the den and deal the final blow to the von lee! WTFMF?

Please tell me that Shanti is still open!

Shawn said...

Omg, I can't believe The Den closed! Where will students get their used CD's, rolling papers, and 64oz sodas? And closing Jiffy Treat might be even worse, actually.
Tis a sad day indeed...

StuckeySpalt said...

Josh, Shanti is still open! And the chocolate chip cookies from Bloomington Bagel Company are still top notch! There is still hope for Bloomington.

h.Lo said...

Wah!!!!!!!! I think this might be a reason for me not to return to Bloomington. I loved the discount Den. =(