Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Tourist-ing

With my aunt in town for the weekend, we finally did some more exploring of our city.

First, we took in the war memorial, which reaffirmed my fascination with wartime propaganda posters. My favorite, which I haven't been able to find online, suggested that by walking, those on the home front could help the war effort (presumably by using less gas). "Walking is a healthy and patriotic recreation." I should also say that the war memorial itself was very impressive.

Next, we headed to the new central library, which is competitive with Seattle for kickass downtown libraries. Apparently, it was a long time coming, but for us new residents, it was certainly worth the wait (um, we didn't have to wait). A three part blogged review of the renovation can be found here, here, and here.

Our last tourist destination (if you don't count The Flying Cupcake) was the zoo. Of the three, I only managed to remember my camera for the zoo trip, hence the pictures of animals. There was a nice variety of animals and it was easy to get around. One difference we noted from the Seattle zoo was how much more kid oriented it is...perhaps we are realizing that couples like us (no kids, like zoos) are easier to find in Seattle.

We have a lot more on our tourist to do list...we need to go inside the art museum for one, and I want to check out the WWII home front exhibit at the Indiana Historical Society.

3 comments:

h.Lo said...

When you go to the IHS, have a meal at the Stardust Cafe out on the canal. That's where we had our wedding reception! It's lovely and the food is good. =)

Anonymous said...

I love being a tourist in my own city - more people should do so and I am surprised by how many people I talk to who live on the Southside (Beech Grove-ish) and tell me that they've never taken a walk on the canal or had a sip at Easley Winery - or taken a carriage ride around the city at Christmas time. Sigh - I love my city! Thanks for sharing where you've visited and what you thought of each place - we haven't been to the war memorial - and your post reminds me that it is shame that we haven't!

Slammin' Sam said...

ah, you're doing all the stuff we did as kids on field trips. though i think some us were a little young (in highschool) to go to the war memorial, but oh well.

what awesomeness are we going to see when i come?