Friday, July 18, 2008

Walk the Walk

During a slow day at work (hmmm...not sure which days aren't slow), I spent some time on this website. It calculates the walkability of your address.

Here are ratings for our recent residences:

Indy house: 71, very walkable
West Seattle house: 35, car dependent
Fre-lard apartment: 65, somewhat walkable
Columbus apartment: 43, car dependent
Feeling Fine on Vine: 62, somewhat walkable

Even though Indianapolis only made 37 on their top 40 of walkable cities, we ended up with a high walk score for our house. We can walk to some pretty kickass places (exhibits A, B, C, D, E). I must complain that the city of Indianapolis in general is lacking sidewalks in key pedestrian areas.

If you haven't yet discovered walking, you can check my aunt's blog here. Walking rocks! Just ask Ramona.

In other news, Americans are obese. Indiana ranks 9th in obesity with 26.8% obese and 62.5% overweight! Yikes!

4 comments:

John D said...

Our place scores an 86, however I find some of the places they list that I can walk to for daily errands are far from being such.
My nearest "Grocery" store, the Cathay Grocery, is merely a kwiki-mart. Cheap beer and soda, snacks and just a few essentials that you pay quite a bit more for. One would subsist on a diet of Ding Dongs and Totino's Party Pizza if you did you daily grocery shopping here.
"Hardware stores," the Sherwin-Williams paint store is not. You can buy paint. Not hardware.
In reality, we drive to get groceries because the nearest viable grocery is at least a mile away, even though it lists New Season's Market's home office as a grocery store. That would be awesome, but it isn't reality.
I think I'd rank my place at about 65 or so, I can walk to plenty of bars and restaurants, but when it comes to groceries or the bank, the car, or at least the bike is necessary.

Maddog said...

Your darn tootin' that South Vine is walkable because you can always walk the tracks to the bars on South Franklin.

Shawn said...

I've got issues with this site too. It's got a tiny Ukraine International food shop listed as a grocery store, a construction company listed for hardware, a cafe listed as a library, and a bookstore that is just a temporary stand. 66/100, I think not.

kathdc said...

I got a 100 in walkability---though half the stuff it lists is wrong. I also have a Sherwin Williams store listed as hardware (though I also have a real hardware store that is not listed). My favorite is that is lists AOL moviefone as a movie theater near me.

Though to be fair, I can walk almost everywhere.