Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Hey, man...check out this song.

So we made it back from a successful trip to Seattle where we saw our friends Jeff and Teri get married, got to see a whole lot of our friends and eat a lot of good food. Oh yeah, I also managed to drink 12 Manny's in four days. I think Elizabeth had five or six herself.

I've recently been mildly obsessed with this song from Okkervil River's latest album The Stage Names. The song is aptly titled The Plus Ones. The first thing I noticed was the infectious melody, which is always a good start with a song. Then I listened to the lyrics and realized how gimmicky it was and decided I shouldn't like it. The song references a series of songs that have numbers in them and then adds one to the number (hence the plus ones). At first this seemed very annoying, but the song is just too well written and it grew on me. It helps that most of the songs it references have indie cred (96 Tears, 7 Chinese Brothers, etc.) So you should check it out. The below youtube video is live so it is kind of a questionable recording, but I think you'll get the point. Enjoy!



I found another blog that takes a pretty extensive look at the song here.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey man, I had seven Manny's (plus a couple Mac and Jack's).

Slammin' Sam said...

is this song mentioned in your okkervil river's song?

Unknown said...

I must be getting old...i wanted to say..." son what is that shit turn it down omg plz turn it off"..... haha ....wasnt my kinda of thing lol