Friday, March 21, 2008

Triple Threat

Elizabeth here. Considering I have a cold and really didn't feel very well, yesterday was a pretty darn good day filled with a trio of positives!

I. I started out the day with a job interview at the state Dept of Environmental Management. They were excited about my background and skills, and since my personality didn't scare them off, they unofficially offered me the job on the spot! It seems like a good fit so baring any other job offers (say to be Bruce Springsteen's personal harmonica cleaner), I should be working there soon!

II. Last night, we went to a show that can be summed up in a word: fucking awesome!* The Boss was in town, and by getting there early and being a bit lucky, we managed to score pit passes (thanks to Chris and Caroline's insistence). We were mere rows from the Boss, 10 ft (or less!) at times. For the first few songs, we were all grinning like idiots, occasionally exchanging a "this is awesome" and "can you believe this?" During the 3rd or 4th song, I almost starting crying I was so excited; I finally understand all of those Beatles groupies! It was ridiculous really! The highlights of the show were older numbers like "Sandy," "Badlands," and "Spirit in the Night." The band didn't seem to have the same energy for the songs from the new album, but I'm really not complaining because they focused on some old classics and backtracks.

At the beginning of the show, Bruce made a reference to The Red Garter, a gentleman's club here in Indy. According to some guy's comment on indy.com (see second comment), at his first Indianapolis show in 1977, he and Clarence made a visit to said club and then brought a couple employees on stage!

The major disappointment of the show was the lack of a sell out. According to backstreets.com (where you can find the setlist), there were only about 10,000 people there. I am not sure if it was the NCAA tournament or high ticket prices or what, but Indy needs to represent! We may be driving to Cincinnati for his next tour!

III. It's NCAA tournament time, which is without a doubt my favorite time of the year for sports. Carolina's a number 1 seed, and I made it through yesterday with a perfect bracket! I better post this before games start and my bracket falls apart!


*bloggers note: I realize that we have used this combination of words before and am not trying to be repetitive; I just felt this was the most accurate way to describe our experience.

4 comments:

Shawn said...

Wow, it's loads o' news day...
Congrats on the job, E! I've always wanted to get a job offer on the spot; so nice not to have to wait around wondering.

Unless IU continues to collapse down the stretch, it's likely that they'll be playing UNC in round 2. You've gotta feel torn over that one.

Slammin' Sam said...

i thought you were going to say: "say to be Bruce Springsteen's personal harmonica" (sans cleaner). who knows where my mind is going today.


not trying to compete w/bruce, but barack was awesome. we were really close and i teared up when he walked out. it was amazing. look for the blog post sometime this weekend.

and, feel better. you sounded horrible when i called this morning. rest and liquids!!!

h.Lo said...

Hi there -- I've been sick for the past week myself, so totally feeling your pain there. I hope you're faring better now!

Anyhow, what great news on the job offer! That took you no time at all. Congrats and keep us posted.

Glad to hear the show was fun, too. I'm working up plans for that trip back in late April. Will email you soon!

xoxo, h.

kathdc said...

CONGRATS on the job!! We need to catch up! Sorry about IU but tarheels rock!