Saturday, October 11, 2008

There's No Place Like Home?

I just spent a week in Seattle...I was lucky enough to get to go to a meeting there (which was actually pretty useful for my job, so double bonus). I, of course, took advantage of the trip and spent my free time with friends, often drinking Manny's (which was too easy given the keg-o-rator filled with it in Alma and Bob's basement!).

We've been gone now 9 months, and I am feeling at home in Indy. I like my job a fair amount now and have found lots of things to like about our new town. It's strange though because Seattle just still feels like home. We've haven't even been gone long enough to see a turnover of waitresses at Easy Street (they do have new menus though). Our old haunts still feel familiar rather than nostalgic. And visiting with friends...well, it just seems like we've waited too long to make plans rather than catching up over a visit. I am sure as time passes, and more things change (like the loss of the cafe at Capers), Seattle will feel more like 'a place we used to live' and less like home, but for now, it's just plain homey. And, I'm okay with that. It doesn't seem like a bad thing. Sure, the nachos at West 5 kick ass but so do the ones at the Broad Ripple Brew Pub (though if I had to choose, I'd go with West 5's). And, it's true that we haven't found a burger as good as a Circa burger or a Vietnamese restaurant like the Tamarind Tree, but we do have an incredible Belgian brewery that has 11 different dipping sauces for their frites. I guess Seattle is now our 'home away from home.'

1 comment:

Slammin' Sam said...

Ooh! i forgot about the belgian place! man, that was wonderful beer! mmmm... beer.