Thursday, October 16, 2008

Voter's Guide

Kerns posted some great Indiana voting information yesterday. I thought I'd add to that by posting a link to the Indy Star's voter's guide. It is pretty helpful. For example, there are two candidates running for Marion Country Treasurer. One, the democrat, has an MBA from IU. The other, the republican, has a degree in theology from Faith Bible College. It seems like a treasurer should have training in a related field, no?

For you non-Hoosiers, check your local papers, or for you lucky PNW'ers, start reading those voters guides you receive in the mail.

Can a native Hoosier please tell me why coroner is an elected position? At least for Marion County, the requirements don't seem that strenuous. If I am reading this correctly, you just have to live in the county for a year, receive some training, and "speak for the dead." Both candidates for Marion County have MDs, but the democrat shares my birthday, so that seems like a good enough reason for me...again, why am I voting for coroner? We also vote for surveyor (which is more common I think)...but again, I ask why?

Also, this picture from last night's debate (which Obama won) is unrelated...but still quite amusing. And, if you didn't see it, check out Maddux's blog post from yesterday.

1 comment:

John D said...

"Coroner as elected position" is just another reminder of how deep Indiana's good ol' boy network runs.
In the three Southern Indiana counties I've ever had political contact with, the elected Coroner was very often either the guy who ran the funeral home, or at least the brother of the local mortician.
These guys are usually elected because they run unopposed, or in the case of many rural counties, they were the only one even remotely qualified to "Speak for the Dead."